Thursday, March 22, 2007

Books and decisions

Never blog yesterday cos I was preparing for my Consumer Behavior (CB) exam which ended in the morning today. Yesterday, my indoor soccer team finally registered our first win in the intermural indoor soccer tournament, but without playing.. We walked over. It was bad as I could not practise my goalkeeping before the actual knock-out tournament begins next week...
The exam today was pretty tough as I didn't memorise those theories.. But who knows. The other time I never remember the definitions of key concepts and yet I scored 95%. I think the lecturers here are quite lenient and love insights rather than pure memorisation and reiteration of the text book...

Well, today I've had 4 classes (as all tues and thurs). Started my day @ 8am and ended @ 3:15pm. I'm considering to drop a class which I recently added though: Mergers and Acquisition. I love the class and the lecture, but it just had too much workload for me to enjoy carrying on with it. Well, I've taken similar classes back in NUS but only touched the surface, while this class really goes deep into the core of M&A. However after seeking advice from my friend Alvin, I decided to drop it, but will sit in for the class just to listen to the professor talk about the latest news of M&A.

Well, I've learnt a lot about Immunization for Investments class. Passive strategy of equating the duration of the portfolio with the time left to maturity of the investment horizon will allow one to be immunized from interest rates fluctuation. Well, the class of Investments is getting interesting as I learn new things. The previous classes were so repetitive as I learnt the concepts taught in my other module I've taken back in NUS. Well, guess this class is getting challenging as it goes deeper into serious issues of investments.

Global marketing by Prof Didow always allow me to take home a lot of new insights. It was amazing to find out that Nike's policies on their subcontracted manufacturers who uses sweatshops were results of a class in the school which I am currently in, Kenan Flagler business school, UNC! Mr Knight actually came into the class, sat in the lecture whilst ordinary students gave recommendations to Nike in this "Nike Class" which was taught by Prof Didow! Amazing! I never see or heard Jackson Tai sit in one of NUS Business School classes before... (or perhaps there were other big shot CEO who came into the class to listen to students' work presentation.)

Well, going for dinner at the dining hall in where else but Rams Head. I hope I won't gain too much weight here in the states!

No comments: